Our next ground delivery: North San Antonio TX on July 23rd
What's a designer breed?
A designer "as the name tells you" it's a design, it does not meet any standards like pure breed dogs and that's why they are unique and most of the times more beautiful.
Designer dogs are mixed dogs from one breed to another or even multi crosses.
If you look at this information below, there isn't of much difference if you see it through a different perspective.
Pure breeds were once designer dogs because they were created by mixing 2 or more breeds.
- American bulldog has Bulldog, Mastiff sprang, British war dogs and dogue de bordeaux in its blood.
- American Eskimo Dog comes from the German Spitz, Keeshond, Pomeranian and Italian Spitz.
- American Pitt Bull & Staffordshire Terriers are a mix from a variety of bulldogs and terriers.
- Australian silky terrier is a mix of Yorkshire terrier with the Australian terrier.
- Beagle from from a Harrier and other hounds in England
- Bichon Frise is also a mix from Maltese, miniature Spaniel, miniature Poodle & Cayenne dogs.
- Borzoi from from Saluki, Greyhound, and a lean of variety of Russian sheepdog.
- Boxer is a cross between Brabanter Bullenbeisser & Bulldog
- Dogo Argentino is a mix from Great Dane, Bull Terrier, Boxer, Pointer, Great Pyrenees, Old English Bulldog, Irish Wolfhound, Dogue de Bordeaux and the Spanish Mastiff.
- Golden retrievers come from crosses between a yellow Flat-Coated Retriever, light-coated Tweed Water Spaniels, other spaniels, setters and even the Newfoundland and possibly the Bloodhound.
- Labrador retrievers come from the Newfoundland dog.
- Papillon may have Spanish Dwarf Spaniel and Spitz as well.
- Pomeranian was developed in Pomerania, Germany, by breeding from small varieties of the large German Spitz.
- Saint Bernards are a cross between Great Danes, Newfoundland & English Mastiffs.
- Shih Tzu is a mix of Tibetan Mountain Dog and the Pekingese.
- Yorkshire terriers come from different types of terrier, including the Skye and the now extinct Clydesdale.
- Bull Terriers & Boston terriers come from a mix of a bull dog and a white English terrier.
So... if you have a pure AKC dog just keep in mind that it was also a designer dog created by people.
Designer dogs are intentionally mixed dogs to come up with the following benefits...
Mixed breeds in general tend to be healthier than pure breeds, as the breeding lines are more broadly spread and there is limited opportunity for inbreeding. Pure bred dogs almost come from the same gene pool.
When the pure breed dogs were created, in order to keep their standards and good look, breeders would rely on inbreeding "another type of cloning" (inbreeding examples means mating the mom with son, dad with daughter, brother and sister, etc) this is great to preserve their lines but as results it brings devastating side effect on their genetics. Examples: (A short life spam, unable to reproduce, heart murmurs, brain defects, blind, hip dysphasia, legs deformity, demodex mange "a problem with their immune system" problems with kidneys, liver and heart. etc,. etc. etc.) Click here to learn about pros and cons of inbreeding. And also click here to see the results of Inbreeding.
Their beautiful appearance since they will develop a new beautiful look.
They a very cute and have more color options. Unlike the traditional flat color of some breeds, designer dogs will amuse you with their variety in colors and hair types. With designer dogs you don't have to stick to only one type of hair, now you have a choice whether you prefer wavy, curly or straight hair.
* If one breed lacks of colors, the other breed will add colors to the new breed.
* If one dog has straight hair, the other breed will add some waves or curls to the new breed.
* If one breed has smaller eyes, the other will balance it out.
* If one breed has a long snout, the other breed will make it smaller.
If one breed is too energetic, the other breed will make calmer, If one breed is too barky, the other will make reduce this annoying behavior, etc. It has been proven that they will have better temperaments. By mixing a Poodle with other breed will come up with a friendlier, sweeter temperament. And thanks to the poodle (Which is a dog most circus use for tricks), they will be very smart.
- Mixes coming from the Maltese, or the poodle, are hypoallergenic which makes a dog with a decreased tendency to provoke an allergic reaction.
Hypoallergenic pets still produce allergens, but because of their coat type, absence of fur, none or low shedding fur, typically produce less than others of the same species.
Questions and answers
Are these designer dogs first generations?
Some are first generations but some are not.
Designer dogs can be either a cross between 2 pure breed dogs, 2 second generation dogs, 1 pure dog and 1 designer dog or multi-generation. Their generation or combination are not relevant to their price.
Are first generation dogs are healthier than second generation mixes?
In fact, the more far away you go from a pure breed the best chances to get rid of the bad genes and come up with a genetically healthier dog. Purebred dogs were initially created by mixing some breeds to come out with a cute look, in order to keep the line and standards, they did a lot of inbreeding which was another type of cloning. As long as there is no inbreeding your second or multi generation designer dogs, they will always have better chances to be healthier than pure bred.
What Designer breeds are most popular?
Here is a small list
Maltipoos are a mix of a Maltese and a Poodle. These are also known as Maltipoo, Maltepoos, Maltapoos, Multipoos, Malti-poos, Malte-poos, Multi poos, Multipoos.
Bich-poos are a mix of the Bichon Frise and a Poodle. These are also known as Bichonpoo, Bichon Poodle, BichPoo, Bich poo, Poochon or Bichon poo.
Shihpoos are a mix of the Shih Tzu and the poodle. These are also known as Shihpoo, Shih-poos, Shihdodle, Shipoo, Shi-poo, Shih Tzudle.
Chipoos are a mix of Poodle and Chihuahua. Also known as Chi-poo, Chihuapoodle, Chipoodle.
Cockapoos are mix from Cocker spaniel with poodles.